Friday, Nick, Echo, and I went to hike Montara Mountain Trail again with the goal to make it to the top of the mountain we'd only half climbed previously. It was foggy/cloudy, but there were still some great views. The hike took us 1.5 hours total, which was shorter than we thought it would have. We had an elevation gain of 1500-2000 ft. Not exactly sure. Wonders of the trip included major temperature drops, an amazing view of the plant life on the mountain side, and an awesome stone chair on a cliff we found.
![]() |
| Nick and Echo on the stone chair |
![]() |
| Looking over the edge from the stone chair |
![]() |
| Stone chair, looking out |
Saturday we heard about the bad airplane crash at the SFO airport. Pretty devastating to see all the news footage, but luckily we weren't anywhere around. We went to the dog park where Echo used her big girl bark on other puppies for the 3rd time. She seems to just have adopted it into her play, but it's pretty intimidating for all the dogs/owners that aren't used to big dogs. She also only uses it on dogs that are smaller or very similar in size than here. To big dogs that I wouldn't have to worry about, she still acts relatively reserved. We're working on a new trick: "pick up your toys". It's really slow going. She picked up the basics very quickly, but we've been struggling with several: balancing treats/toys on her nose, crawling without getting up to walk, and putting her toys into the basket. We've abandoned the nose balancing tricks for now. I cannot for the life of me get her to keep her head still. She bites at anything near her nose. She will leave a treat on the ground, her paw, furniture, etc. until I give her permission to eat it, but put it anywhere near her face and she goes nuts. She's picking up on putting her toys in the basket, but I'm not sure to what extent. Every lesson feels like we're starting over from scratch. She's always been treat trained, but it's difficult to get her to hold toys in her mouth when she knows treats are around. She also seems to think I just want her to pick up the toy and drop it. The basket may happen to be around, but she doesn't know why. After about 10-15 minutes of training, we get about 5 good "pick up toy and put it in basket"s. Eventually I'll be glad to announce she's a pro.
We don't have plans for tomorrow yet, but it's sure nice to have one more day before going back to work. I hope you all had a great time with the holiday festivities, as well.





No comments:
Post a Comment